Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Making Pretty.

I'm tired of the junk at the end of the driveway. The wood pile is there to stay for a while. At least until I get all the planting out done. This morning, Laura and I had coffee and she left. She will be in town for a few more days, and I might get to see her again on Saturday night if the schedules work out. It was good to have her here. I miss my Lo.

After she left, I started planting out. Using my bulb auger on the end of a cordless drill, I planted out a few containers before Carla stopped by.

It's a mess of oak tassels and elm tree seeds and maple seedlings. But the pile is getting smaller. And the yard is getting prettier in my mind. A little more rain would have been nice, but I'm not about to complain. I'll take what I can get.

I handed over some seedlings to Carla with instructions. I sent fig cuttings and dug plants from my yard to add to her hill. She's got a slope down to the street that gets mostly full sun all day. I've been helping her fill it in with perennials. She wants more blooms. She's gonna have them. After she left, I planted out more containers, filling each hole, and watering well by hand using a container. I'm trying not to waste water on things that got a drink last night.

All that's left now are a few rooted cuttings

Most of the nearly 200 two-liters. I've probably planted out 50, maybe? The six packs are pineapple sage and other annuals. They'll go in when they're a little bigger.

and those with no sprouts, those that need more sun, and the sunflowers, herbs, and tomatoes for the lower potager beds and upper meadow.

I'm making pretty. It's getting there. In another couple of weeks, all my planting will be done. Since I took yesterday off to get myself reacquainted with the hammock, I feel a need to do some work today. No loafing around. I'm about to head out to find a spot for some hardy geraniums, some hardy hibiscus, and some hardy ageratum. I hope the rain they're promising us next week comes through. The weather has been nearly perfect the past few days. Cool in the mornings and evenings, warm and breezy during the day. I can't complain. The hammock never stopped rocking.


Anonymous said...

Wow! You have been extremely busy. Quite a few empty containers. I refilled a few of mine after emptying with mostly more annuals. I cant wait to your results.

Tammy said...

Wow, that came out anonymous, but it was actually me that posted,lol

FlowerLady said...

Good grief Tom, your gardens are going to be fabulous and I can hardly wait to see them.

Enjoy it all, especially the hammock after all this work you've done.


Tim said...

It's definitely hammock weather! Enjoy it while it's here!

Alison said...

A bulb auger, what a great idea! I bet it makes quick(er) work of planting out. Not that planting out ever goes quick!

LeSan said...

eerie...I started having flashbacks looking at your pots. I had exactly the same thing going on when I started the gardens here. It took flipping forever to plant several thousand plants. It's not far enough behind me yet not to shudder when I see yours. May the Ben-Gay be with you.

L. D. Burgus said...

It is going to be quite a showplace. I know what you mean the feeling you have when you end up with empty containers. It took a lot of effort to do all that and it is sort of a trophy to have all the empties. Now you have to watch and wait as the growing begins.

Kris said...

Your job as a Live Plant Specialist sure has some advantages. Talk about 'taking your work home with you'. You are the poster child for Th Busman's Holiday. LOL

Anonymous said...

Oh my! And I thought I had a bunch of sprouts to put out! I'm just so glad you take pictures and share the results with us. It's so fun to see what's happening in your garden.