I've been ignoring the task of weeding the front slope for a long while now. At first, it was because of the dying daffodil foliage. Why bother weeding when those yellowing brown straps continue to persist? Then it was too wet. I tried once and was pulling seedlings from the surrounding areas whenever I removed a clump of crabgrass. Today, I'm just going to hunker down and get it done. At least some of it. I'll use a hand trowel to loosen each clump. There are a lot of clumps.
Mulch and newspaper would help, but I want plants to reseed next year. Even covering the bed shredded leaves reduces the number of seeds that germinate. Maybe in a couple years I'll have enough plants on this slope to mulch the bed. Until then, it's just me and my trowel. I really should get started.
But first, here's a sample of the concrete countertops I want to use in the kitchen. The color isn't there yet. I poured the concrete straight from the bag with no coloring. Instead of dark, I plan to go towards "buff" with streaks of darker gray. I'm thinking a mottled surface would be best given the floor tile I'm going to be living with for a few years. It will also make choosing a permanent flooring material easier later in life.
The sample piece is about 12" wide, 6" tall. I still need to work on the edges. I have an idea about that.
A close up reveals a perfectly smooth countertop with very little color variation. You almost have to inspect it with your fingers to realize it's concrete. Vibrating the forms removed all the imperfections my first trial contained. I'm not sure which one I like best. I could always use a patch material to fill the voids, but it would make for a weaker countertop, more likely to crack or chip. So many decisions.
It's 63 degrees. The sun has just appeared over the trees out back. I should get started on the hill. Rain possible in the next hour with sunny skies returning for the rest of the day.