On June 14, I stuck gardenia and rose cuttings from Jim @ The Gaudy Garden. Unfortunately, I lost all 6 of the rose cuttings to fungus. I also lost a couple of the gardenias, which is surprising since they normally root incredibly easy. These are the old gardenias. The mother plant was over 6' tall and wide. Shortly after, I also stuck cuttings of eleangus and several other plants including my snowball viburnum.
This is what they looked like this morning. I've been ignoring them. As Nell says, labeling them ensures failure.
Pyracantha - I lost several, but two rooted.
A gardenia cutting.
Snowball viburnum - all three rooted.
I potted them into gallon sized pots using a fast draining cow manure compost. Broken bags, half price.
On July 2, I potted up the hydrangeas that I rooted in my homemade cloning machine. They're ready to be potted up again and should be planted out in early September. I'll move them to 1 gallon nursery pots this afternoon. They'll get the same cow manure compost as the others. It'll give me nice growth, without the likelihood of burning the tender roots using chemical fertilizers.
Here's the variegated hydrangea I rooted without really trying. I wish all plants were this easy.
And a variegated sedum I got from a customer at the store. I took another clump of her sedum in exchange for some low growing bamboo.
Then I spent an hour cutting up more of the fallen oak tree. Most of the branches you see are more than 16" in diameter. My dad will be coming up in a few weeks with a larger chainsaw. He's considering bringing the small tractor to pull the limbs out of the woods and into the yard. If he does, I'll get him to till the gully area where I want to plant a garden next year.
I promised Cat I would show her how to take cuttings of passionvine. I haven't forgotten. I've got a list of things I plan to make more of. I'll do that this afternoon. There will be pictures.