Tuesday, January 6, 2009

The cloning machine works.

This is a follow-up to the Homemade cloning machine I built last week.

First, you'll notice the design changes.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

I needed to make it smaller. I also wanted to make the holes smaller so that I could use foam rollers from the Health & Beauty section of the dollar store to hold the cuttings. It works like a charm.

Here's a pineapple salvia that was stuck on Jan 3.

Photobucket

And a piece of brugmansia that was broken from an overwintering plant.

Photobucket

All I have to do now is wait for my flowers and veggies so that I can propagate them to sell at the local farmer's market this summer for some extra cash. In the meantime, I'm testing some Euonymous cuttings and camellias. I'm not sure how it will work with the woodier plants, but it works great with softwood cuttings.

Come on spring.

5 comments:

zach said...

Is there anything in the water, or do the plants simply prefer this to a glass of water because the water is warm and moving?

Zach said...

Sorry to post twice. I wanted my correct ID used...

Is there anything in the water, or do the plants simply prefer this to a glass of water because the water is warm and moving?

Tom said...

The only thing in the water is a tablespoon of Miracle Gro Starter fertilizer. I don't need that, but I have it so I put it in there. It just takes longer without it.

The air and water combination is what causes the plants to root. You can buy these chambers as well, they're just really expensive.

Tom said...

Here's what I based my chamber on. I just made it smaller because of the weight, and gave myself more spaces to stick cuttings. You can even make this in a plastic shoebox using only one bubbler and a heat mat rather than a heater.

Cloning chamber

jellyfishbay said...

It's so cool that you can look at a piece of equipment and reproduce it using found or cheaper materials. Such a creative person!