Tuesday, May 11, 2010

The unknown hybrid tea.

I got it for cheap. I can't remember when. It's blooming, finally. It starts out yellow, which I missed. There are currently 3 open blooms.

Going



Going



Gone.



In the perennial bed, nigella is looking fantastic.



It's 59 degrees. The heat was on last night. The forecast calls for slight chances of rain all day, the highest being 30% around 3pm. We had a sprinkling of rain last night. Weather.com says we received 0.01" at the municipal airport just outside of town.

As I sit at my desk, I can see a male cardinal feeding a fluffy baby at the edge of the potager. He takes seeds from the bird feeder and flies back to where she sits. He's been doing this for 15 minutes now. There are baby bluebirds in one of the boxes out back. The same box that was used last year. I need to refill the birdbaths before work.

2:56pm - Home for lunch. It rained for about an hour this morning around 11am. More rain likely this evening and part of Wednesday morning. The rose above now has a nearly open bloom. It's yellow.



And a new bud has started showing color. Things happen quickly with just a little rain and cool temperatures.



It's 61 degrees.

5 comments:

Tammy said...

Tom, I may be wrong (nothing unusual there) but your rose reminds me of the climbing "Joseph;s Coat" I had for one season. It was beautiful, but didnt survive our winters.I added some links below with info:
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/367/
http://www.gardenvines.com/shop/climbing-roses-2/joseph-s-coat-rose-263.html
http://www.backyardgardener.com/plantname/pd_6dc0.html

Tom - 7th Street Cottage said...

Tammy, I think you could be right. I'm going to check the growth habit on this one. It's a low shrub right now, and I don't see any new growth aside from what is currently blooming. If it does start to send out long canes, I'll move it this fall to the swing. The pink rose there appears to bloom only once and has no real fragrance.

Dave@TheHomeGarden said...

I definitely need to add a few bluebird boxes. The rose look great!

Anonymous said...

Whatever its name, it certainly is beautiful. That colour combination is my very favourite in the garden.

Chloe m said...

That is one spectacular blooming rose. I love it!

I hope it warms up for you, too, SOON! I am afraid to wish for warm weather, then it will be HOT!

Thanks for stopping by Dung hoe.

Rosey