Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Gray Skies.

Much like my mood the past few days, the skies here are gray and overcast.



There won't be any rain in them. We couldn't be so lucky. In the past month, we've had three showers. Prior to that, we went a full four weeks with no rain. I'm surprised things haven't dried to a crisp. I've stopped watering established plants. They can live or die by their own root systems. Newly planted items get a little water from time to time. There's a new large pile of things at the end of the driveway. It's easier to water them there than all over the yard.

It's 70 degrees.

12:22pm - Spent a couple hours in the yard. Planted the coreopsis Moonbeam amongst the daylilies at the base of the driveway retaining wall. Planted two purple coneflowers in the new bed by the crape myrtle out back. Also planted two Icicle Speedwell in that bed, 4 dayliles from Miss Sarah, and divided a clump of my own echinacea into two plants. My seedlings will be planted out here this fall, but I have to get something in there for organic material. It's just stone, clay, and roots at the moment. I mulched the plants with shredded leaves my nephew collected two weekends ago. I tossed out some cosmo seeds too. Even if they don't bloom this year, their roots will become organic stuff and help break up the clay as they decompose this winter.

Waiting on 3pm now to head to work. Need to rest a bit. It's 72 and partly sunny.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

No rain in Charlotte either. All the potting soil with moisture control has officially pooped out for the season and bakes just like the clay soil.

I have the worst luck with cosmos and larkspur seeds! Good luck with yours!

scottweberpdx said...

Hmmm...I've never tried dividing coneflowers...I had heard they were hard to move or divide due to their being taprooted...do you usually have good luck moving and dividing them?