Monday, January 11, 2010

Warming

It was 14 degrees when I left for work at 5:40am this morning. It's 37 now. We might just hit our high of 44. By Friday, we'll be back to normal at 59/32. The batteries in the hoophouse are dead. I haven't received a signal in several days. I need to get them replaced before the warm weather comes back.

No gardening today. When I get home, there'll be firewood to move and supper to eat. I've got a bag of frozen tomatoes from my dad's garden thawing in the sink.

It's still cold.

5 comments:

Darla said...

The is the least amount I have ever read you doing around your home....must be really busy at work....

Tom - 7th Street Cottage said...

Darla, I'm just at a point where there is little to do. It happens this time of year. It's too cold to get out and clean out the beds I missed this spring. We've still got some cold weather coming in February and early March. None of my seeds have sprouted so there's no planting out to do. The cuttings in the basement need minimal attention, mostly watering. I'm not quite ready to start seeds indoors for things like cabbage and carrots. I might use my cloche idea for those in the garden where I want them to grow anyway. So today, I'm just going to sit down. I've already brought in two loads of firewood. A third might be in order shortly.

L. D. said...

Cooking tomatoes is a good gardener's job. We are warming up to 21 degrees and I am bragging about that. Our furnace actually shuts down and stop blowing for a ten minute break once in awhile.

Nell Jean said...

I'm tired of cold, almost as tired as I was of sultry weather in the summer.

compost in my shoe said...

Enjoy the lull. We all know they don't last long.