Sunday, January 24, 2010

Summertime.

That's what it feels like outside tonight. This morning, it was cool and brisk. I wore my hat to work and removed several layers of clothing throughout the day. By the time I had lunch, we were in the 50s. Tonight, it's 63 and, breezy would be an understatement. It's windy. The hurricane chime on the perennial bed arbor has been sounding steadily since sunset. It's made from long pieces of chainlink fence posts and requires a decent amount of air movement to make it sing.

Before I headed back to work this afternoon, I moved all the indoor cuttings outside. I know. Brugmansia and pineapple sage outside in January. The nighttime temperature is supposed to fall to 51 with a 64 degree high tomorrow. I'm contemplating leaving them out there all night. They could use the rain. By now, the soil is stagnant and needs to be refreshed. Rainfall nutrients can't do much harm. However, the wind might. I pulled the rack up close to the house. I can always wheel it into the garage door if I need to, and in a hurry.



I haven't really been paying much attention to these plants lately. They've just been doing their own thing. Lights come on at 7am, go off at 7pm. They get watered when I think about it (or notice a crunchy leaf). I guess I hadn't realized there was so much sage in bloom.



I'll have to pull them back inside tomorrow if the sun threatens to show its face. But for tonight, they can dream about warmer days. The rain has started already. It's blowing fierce against the bedroom windows. I'm thinking about calling it a night and turning in early.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

The weatehr has been weird today. Same thing here. I left the house at 2pm and it was 39. Got home at 8pm and it's 60. windy and rainy but warm.

Gardeness said...

We had low 50s but still felt quite chilly. Love all your pineapple sage. I had that one year and loved the tasty aroma. Unfortunately it didn't make it through a rather harsh winter. I think I need to add it to my must-haves list again.

Jeff Vandiver said...

It was pretty nice here, too. Definitely a good day to get out and tend to a few things.

FlowerLady Lorraine said...

I just love your shelf unit of babies that you've grown through the winter. I've had pineapple sage before, but it croaked. Yesterday was gray and windy. I did get a load of laundry washed, hung out to dry and brought in at the end of the day. I worked in my shed's garden, weeding then laying on some free mulch from a huge bag that DH found on the side of the road. Someone no doubt lost it off their truck and didn't feel like going back to pick it up. Their loss our gain.

Have a great week and hope your weather continues to grow warmer.

FlowerLady

L. D. said...

All of those plants look really good. You have to feel great that they are all doing so well. It was good they got some sunshine.