Saturday, January 9, 2010

Saturday

It's 21 degrees. The sun just peeked out from behind the clouds that passed through overnight. The hoophouse is at 28. In the basement, the wood heater is fired up. Water is nearly boiling in the pan on top. Today, firewood.



4:23pm - This is a pile of wood that just won't end. We started just after 11am. From about the same angle as this morning, there is still a lot of wood to cut and split. I'm about ready to start selling this. NC doesn't have a law against selling firewood, do they?



Four hours of splitting, cutting, and a lunch break gave us a nice pile of wood. It hides the splitter from the house. Tomorrow, I'll spend some time hauling wood into the basement to start drying out. I did four wheelbarrow loads today. I'm tired.



My dad and my nephew. Mom stayed in the basement. She was in charge of the fire.



It's 36 degrees. Feels colder in the gully where the soil is wet. That kind of cold just creeps into your bones. I'm going to spend tonight inside where it's warm and toasty. The hoophouse stands at 51. More two liter bottles arrived today. Wintersowing will continue soon.

6:01pm - 48 new containers have been cut and are ready for soil. Tomorrow, I'll sift and sow these containers. Some will be repeats, some will be left empty for seeds that will be arriving from recent trades. This should round out the last of the perennials. Maybe. HA!

9:17pm - Seeds have been chosen. Labels have been made. I'm okay with not dating. I've got my firewood to keep me warm.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Same here. Its freezing cold! I'm not going outside today if I can help it.

Corner Gardener Sue said...

It struck me funny, when you said the cold of 36 creeps into your bones. It is currently 6 degrees here. Brrr!

Thanks for visiting my CC post. The photos were taken out of doors and windows. I have been going out to help my daughter move, though. I have a knitted scarf with a built in hood that I bought about 40 years ago. It's not pretty, but it keeps my head warmish.

Enjoy all that firewood!

Tom - 7th Street Cottage said...

Sue, I just don't know how you do it. Really. I couldn't survive that kind of cold. I can take the 110 degree summers. Just keep all that snow and ice your way.

Michelle, that's tomorrow's plan. All day inside with a nice hot fire.

Darla said...

I'm with you Tom. It's way plenty cold for us..would love to see a dusting of snow for about a minute. I like your Mom, she's smart, incharge of the fire where it's warm. More freakin' bottles? Oh, you selling them with the seedlings free? ha

Catherine@AGardenerinProgress said...

That's a lot of wood! Good thing you've got lots of help there.