Monday, November 30, 2009

Hibernating

It's 52 degrees and mostly cloudy. The wind picked up overnight. The rain is coming. By 2pm, we should be soaking in it. By sunset, it will have moved on ushering in cooler temperatures for the rest of the week. A fire will have to be built this evening in the basement heater.

I've got a few chores I'm working on today. I'm doing laundry. The dishes are done. I'm planning to sweep and maybe mop the hardwoods before heading to work. Since Thursday, I've had this odd pain in my lower back. I'm not even sure what I did to cause it. I just remember waking up on Thanksgiving Day with it. I'm trying to give it some healing time when I'm not at the store. The heaviest thing I've lifted all morning was the coffee pot.

The sun is a lot like me today. It wants to come out, but the clouds are keeping it inside.



Some things from around the yard:

Oakleaf Hydrangea



Snowball viburnum



Sedum. Just three feet away, the frost has killed another to the ground.



Under lights in the basement, the pineapple sage is trying to bloom.



I'm packaging two sets of cuttings from the brugmansias to mail out today. I've also got two seed trade packages to send out. I'm still waiting on one thing before mailing a large package to Austin, TX. I'm hoping it will be ready in another week.

I've got two more days of work before my two days off. I've got no plans for those days. Rain on Wednesday, sunny and cooler on Thursday, I'll probably spend most of my time sorting seeds and thinking about next year. I could work on the kitchen. Then again, I could just stay in bed and watch some movies.

4:37pm - The rain we were supposed to get broke up and gave us just a smattering of moisture. It's humid and sticky at 57 degrees. The clouds should clear out with the wind later tonight.

When I was leaving for work, I spotted something. I ran back inside to get the camera.



Last December, this camellia was blooming. I assumed then that it was a C. japonica. It was also much redder last year. Methinks it needs some acid. I'm not going to remove the oak leaves this year and I will fertilize next spring.

5 comments:

Darla said...

We have the rain headed our way this week too...then maybe a killing frost......argh! I bet you don't stay in bed and watch movies!!

Anonymous said...

I'm so impressed with the great variety of plants, did you grow then all from seed? I have begun to try my hand with some seed I recieved from "wintersown". I tried some calendula in a nine pack and was pleasnatly surprised to get seven to germinate.
I'm in SE Georgia and we are just beginning to cool down. Have you any suggestions? I'm hoping to do more and keep them inside over the winter and hoping to have a headstart in the spring.

L. D. said...

The camellia is fantastic. It is a nice color and the grow large down there. We are looking for 30 degree high's at the end of the week so I have to get anything not done, outside, done. Enjoy your days off.

Tom - 7th Street Cottage said...

Darla, it's 43 degrees and dropping fast. By morning, it'll be 30.

Luv2, wintersowing is about leaving everything outside over the winter. In our zone, you'll get sprouts in January. Just plant hardy perennials. Go back and read some of my Dec/Jan posts from earlier this year. You'll see what I planted.

LD, that camellia was huge when I cut it down. In the past 2 years it's back to 4' tall. There are several others near it, but that's the only one to bloom so far. There are tons of buds still to come.

gld said...

Glad you ran back for the camera. I cannot grow these in my area and they are so beautiful. I envy you.

Our rain prediction has now turned to a snow prediction! Yikes.