Wednesday, April 1, 2009

The Nursery

While I was loading empty greenhouse racks into a truck today, I spied something out back of the store. We get these things from time to time for displays. Someone usually claims them and when they're emptied, you have a day to pick them up or they are tossed into the garbage. This one was claimed by the woman I replaced three weeks ago. How it managed not to find its way into the dumpster is beyond me. But there it was. As soon as I returned from lunch, I inquired as to whether it was claimed. My manager told me to take it tonight. He was supposed to have someone dump it this week.

So, low and behold, I have a new rack for my seedlings and plants. I can get them out of the hoophouse and have more room for my seeds. 10x20 trays fit perfectly with six to a shelf. Three shelves means 18 trays. I can fit 12-14 cups per tray. Next year, I'll turn the entire thing into a mini greenhouse and use it to wintersow my annuals. I have another shorter one already in the garage, but it holds all my gardening junk. There are two more in the store right now. In a couple weeks, they'll be emptied. I might try to get another, just in case I sow more seeds than I can possibly use.

I think it's time to start thinking about a plant sale next spring.



The shelves are adjustable. Right now, it's attached to a pallet. If I remove that, I can lower the bottom shelf and give the plants more room. A few pieces of wood across the top can support whatever I find to cover it in case of frost, which is looking less and less likely with each passing day.

2 comments:

Tessa at Blunders with shoots, blossoms 'n roots said...

Oh, Nice! That will come in very handy. I wish I worked in a nursery!

Heather said...

Ooohhh, I love a good find. Good Score. I think you will definitely need two or maybe even more though. A gardener can never be too prepared.
-Heather