Friday, March 13, 2009

What is THAT?

Photobucket

Well, it's a 42" inch long piece of 3/4" pvc pipe with a nail on one end and a funnel on the other. What did you think?

Photobucket

I shamelessly stole the idea from a GardenWeb member. She suggested it for someone in a wheelchair to make planting seeds easier. I made one for myself because I'm lazy and like to know where those seeds end up on the ground.

Making it took all of 5 minutes and I had all the pieces scattered about. The nail was my idea. I only have two hands. In one hand, there will be a container of seeds. In the other, a small cup of fine sand. I'll stick the nail in the ground, take a few seeds, drop them into the funnel, and top it off with a large pinch of sand. Why? So I can see where I planted the seeds, of course.

Photobucket

Photobucket

When I direct sowed poppies this winter, I realized too late that the seeds ended up in large clumps rather than being evenly distributed across the area I was trying to seed. Now, I'll know exactly where they landed.

It's still raining. I collected some rainwater today for the plants that were brought back in yesterday. The tomatoes are getting huge and dry out very quickly in those tiny cups. It's time to transplant them. I've run out of dirt. I'll pick some up on Saturday.

It's 39 degrees. Time to build a fire in the basement heater.

3 comments:

Catherine@AGardenerinProgress said...

Great idea. I lose track of where I plant seeds too, like the sand idea as well.

Gail said...

Well stolen or borrowed...it's a great idea...I belong to the scatter them to the winds school! gail

ARK said...

brilliant