Sunday, March 8, 2009

Hurry Up and Wait.

It's 45 degrees and sunny. I've got the windows open while I have my first cup of coffee. The birds and squirrels are filling the morning with all sorts of noise and chatter. It was a woodpecker that woke me up.

Yesterday, a friend of mine said, "Funny how 73 degrees was freezing last week but last night it was a "hot" 73 degrees." I know what he means. On Thursday, it was 50 degrees outside. I was numb from the cold even in the house with the heat set on 65. But this morning, 45 degrees is really "nice". I hope the plants in the hoophouse agree with me. I left everything out there last night hoping they'll harden off a little over the next couple of weeks. The 10 day forecast is a nice one. I'll toss a white sheet over them before the sun gets too high. I don't want to fry the tender things.

Today is a work day. I need to clean the basement and get back to work on the project. I've done nearly everything I can in the yard until the chance of frost has passed. There will be more wintersown containers to plant out at some point. There will be seedlings to transplant and things that need to be watered. But overall, I'm in a holding pattern for the next 3-4 weeks. Most charts put our last frost around April 15. I suspect it will snow on the 12th. Mother Nature is cruel like that.

2:46pm - Where did the day go? Oh yeah, the time change makes it seem earlier than it is. It's 75 and sunny. The forecast was calling for 82 today, but I don't think we'll make it. It's too windy.

The basement is clean. Laundry is partly done and I've managed to stay out of the yard except for some watering. Of course I took photos. It's Sunday. More on that in another post.

Yesterday's new arrival has a little friend.

Photobucket

Soon to have lots more friends.

Photobucket

The yarrow I purchased last year is returning. It blooms yellow.

Photobucket

I think this is echinacea. I'll have to wait until it blooms to be sure.

Photobucket

I think this is called "Bloody Dock" but I could be wrong. It was purchased from the clearance rack at Lowe's last spring for 50 cents. I've divided it several times and have it scattered throughout the bed.

Photobucket

And then there's the Bull Thistle. This plant arrived from my neighbor's yard. While it is striking with its long pointy spines and beautiful purple blooms, it's invasive as all get out. I should shovel prune it, but the blooms are so pretty. There are several in the garden thanks to that one plant across the street. The tap root is probably 2 feet or deeper.

Photobucket

I'm also working on another post regarding Sundays and picture taking in the perennial bed. I should focus on more than just this one part of the yard. However, it's the showiest and certainly the one to show the most change over the seasons. Maybe I'll have another cup of coffee while the photos upload and my lunch settles. I'm feeling a little nap-ish.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

The more I read about gardening, the more I realize that it's easy to garden in Malaysia. There's not too much hassle and worry like you guys write about. I mean, the temperature here is more or less proper for gardening all year long.

Kris said...

Tom, it actually got to 68F yesterday! Here! In NE Ohio! It got so warm I had to peel the plastic off the windows so I could open them and air out the house. (Which took only 1 minute since the wind was blowing 30+ mph! Wow). Today we're only 45 now and have gotten more than 1" of rain and it's still coming down. Seems Mom Nature is playing with all her weather toys this March... ;-)

Heather said...

Tom, enjoy the wonderful day ahead! 45 would be a welcome sight around here. I can't wait to see all that you have already put out really start to come alive in their new spots.
-Heather

Catherine@AGardenerinProgress said...

The 'Bloody Dock' (what a name) is really pretty. I've seen it before, but didn't know what it was called. It sounds nice there. We had snow AGAIN today.
Enjoy your warm weather :)