Thursday, March 12, 2009

Moving Day

No, I'm not moving. The plants are. The tender plants that have spent nearly a week in the hoophouse are coming back inside this evening. Sure, the 10 day forecast calls for a low of only 41 degrees tonight, but I don't trust the weatherman any more than a used car salesman at this time of year.

Photobucket

There is a lot of rain in the forecast next week. I'll be happy to see it. Aside from our passing shower last night, we've not had any precipitation since it snowed almost two weeks ago. Yesterday, it was 82. There's a saying in these parts, "If you don't like the weather, move."

Planning to scatter some seeds today in the perennial bed. I have Forget-Me-Nots, Alyssum, and Gloriosa daisies that were purchased from the dollar store. I also need to scatter some fertilizer on the perennial bed. A few of the wintersown "Hunks of Seedlings" received a dash of tobacco fertilizer when they were planted out. Others were left to their own devices. The fertilized plants are doing much better and showing significant growth over the ignored ones. I suspect the weeds will enjoy it as much as the flowers.

It's 50 degrees and overcast. There is a chill in the air.

A few pictures from my morning walk through the yard.

Photobucket

Photobucket

euonymus, privet, and leatherleaf mahonia.
Photobucket

The ditch lilies along the retaining wall are starting to push through the dirt and mulch I added to the bed. Wintersown daylilies will be planted here too.
Photobucket

The daffodils that started blooming in January are done. The tulips are up next. There should be 40+ bulbs around the tree. I don't count even half that many.
Photobucket

Periwinkle on the front slope is showing lots of new growth.
Photobucket

Miscanthus - divided and replanted last week.
Photobucket

Something has the late night munchies.
Photobucket

Cabbage
Photobucket

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

There is a chill in the air? I thought spring is supposed to be in the air ...

Catherine@AGardenerinProgress said...

That will be quite a difference in temperature. There is a saying in the Seattle area about weather. If you don't like the weather, wait a day.
At least you'll get to plant some seeds. The periwinkle looks good and I see some blooms on it already.

Tom - 7th Street Cottage said...

Yep. It's almost cold after yesterday's 82.

Catherine, I decided to wait on the seeds. Farmer's almanac says today is a barren period. Waiting one more day will give me better germination, if you believe that planting with the moon signs is helpful.

The periwinkle is starting to look really good on the area I have done. I need to get out there and finish the rest of the slope now that the grass is dead. It'll take a couple months to get established. I can mow it in late summer and have new growth in place before winter. I estimate I need to dig up and transplant at least another 250 plugs. Ugh.

Anna/Flowergardengirl said...

How nice to see 70 degrees soon. I'm so ready! Do you think this will be your best gardening year yet? Sure seems like you have a lot of great plants.

Tom - 7th Street Cottage said...

This is my year to play. I hope to see things filling in this year. I spent last summer really working on the beds and making new ones. This year, all planting. I'm done hauling mulch, till fall.

FlowerLady Lorraine said...

How neat to seeing your blooms starting to happen. I look forward to seeing your tulips and everything else that you will have.

FlowerLady

Gail said...

We are getting sleet and it's not my idea of a pretty spring day! Oh winter stop this behavior! I would put my seedlings away, too. gail

F Cameron said...

The cold hit us today, too. We may get sleet in the morning. It won't last long-- it will be nice again soon!

Cameron