Tuesday, February 3, 2009

The Dining Room

It's 32, sunny and breezy. The next couple of days will remind me that winter is not over regardless of how nice it was yesterday. It reached 63. I opened the windows for a while yesterday afternoon.

Today I'll be finishing the dining room. At Lowe's last weekend, I found a gallon of "oops" paint for $5 that I liked a lot more than the gray I had originally used. It's a dark greenish brown. It fits with the rest of the house bettern than the color I mixed from several partial cans.

I'll post pictures when it's done. I need to put one coat on all the trim and clean the floors. I hope it's still daylight when I'm done this time.

This light fixture was given to me by a friend. It was in the living room of his 1920s house. I painted it black, cleaned all the crystals, and replaced the bulbs. I found a dimmer switch in my toolbox (where did that come from?). I installed it yesterday.

Photobucket

I'll get started once I finish my coffee.

2:24pm - I'm almost done. I need to put one more coat of acrylic on the floor.

Let's review. The original dining room.

Photobucket

What I lived with for over a year.

Photobucket

The gray.

Photobucket

And finally, done.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

The chandelier from my friend in VA.

Photobucket

I still need a vent cover for the floor register. And furniture. Next up, the hallway. It only needs paint at this point.

7 comments:

Catherine@AGardenerinProgress said...

You did a fantastic job. It turned out great!

Anonymous said...

what you have done in the house is fabulous ! I can't wait to see what the outside will look like. Simply fabulous.

frogview cottage

Machelle said...

Looks fantastic! and don't you love the smell of fresh paint? It even smells better when it's oops! paint. LOL

Corner Gardener Sue said...

That paint was a great find, and your place looks awesome!

Tom - 7th Street Cottage said...

Thanks everyone. I couldn't be happier with the colors and especially the light fixture.

Kris said...

It looks just wonderful! The colors complement the style of your house and what a nice transformation you did on the chandelier. I love the light pattern it casts on the wood floor. I'll bet you can't wait to give a little dinner party. ;-D

Tom - 7th Street Cottage said...

I would love to host a party. But the kitchen is really bad. I have 4' of counter space. I also need a dining room table. I sold or gave away all my furniture when I moved from Charlotte to Greensboro in 2006. Although I hated the complex and many problems associated with noise between the units, I loved the unit itself. And my furniture was really nice. Ahh, the good ol days.