Sunday, October 11, 2009

Just shy of a ton.

That's what I brought home tonight on the back of my 2002 Ford Ranger. Yeah, I know. Spare me. It was 2 miles and I barely got above 20mph thanks to the old couple in front of me suffering from night blindness and my headlights in their rear view mirror. The mudflaps only hit the ground three times.

115 12" x 12" x 1-7/8" concrete pavers at 18lbs each sitting on a pallet in the back of my truck.




115 12" x 12" x 1-7/8" concrete pavers at 18lbs each sitting on a pallet in the driveway. It took 10 minutes to unload them all, two at a time. My back is killing me. I was hungry before. Now I'm famished.



It'll be a while before I am ready to actually lay the stones. I need to wait for colder weather to pick up the brick I plan to use in between some of the pavers. It's in the gully. The design will depend on what I can haul back out. Maybe it would be easier to just tear down the chimney no longer being used that runs from the basement to just below the roof sheathing.

The pavers are stained from spending the summer holding concrete planters and all the dirt in the garden center. Eventually, I'll power wash them. That will probably happen after they're laid in place. I don't think they'll be unstacked anytime soon. Not bad for $10.

4 comments:

LeSan said...

Oh, that's staining then? I thought they were patterned. I look forward to seeing them in place...probably a lot more than you look forward to unloading them.

Randy Emmitt said...

Tom,

Pretty good deal if you ask me! WE brought home 110 used paver bricks from the Orange County Landfill last year, dumped by crews re doing UNC. Had a hard time explaining to the landfill people how my van was 800lbs heavier empty than earlier in the day.

Nell Jean said...

Those were Angels in front of you, keeping you from picking up enough speed to be unable to control your vehicle or stop quickly and probably saving some vital parts of your truck from going out.

Oh, the things we do to complete a garden plan. Tear down the chimney. We did that.

Tom - 7th Street Cottage said...

It's raining today Nell. I might just get the sledge hammer out this evening. It'll give me something to do while I should be folding laundry. I hate folding laundry.

LeSan, it is staining. I might leave it. I was looking at them this morning and it tells a nice story.

Randy, just tell them you went to the buffet for lunch. :)