Friday, October 9, 2009

Few acorns, but I'm not complaining.

I've noticed a lack of acorns this year. Last October, I would lay in bed listening to the *thunk* *thunk* of acorns hitting my truck in the driveway. The ground was littered all winter long. They all sprouted in the spring. I'm still pulling seedlings. I'm afraid the squirrels are going to be hungry this winter. My poor crocuses.

With overnight temperatures in the 30s forecast for next week, I'm afraid the final brugmansia may not bloom. It's so close. I believe this is the yellow one I got from the ice cream stand where Main St and Pee Dee Ave converge.



I need to take cuttings of the white lantana.



Dame's rocket needs dividing already.



My cabbage plants (Bok Choy and Stonehead) are way behind schedule.



Next year's datura bed is looking good thanks to the rain last week and the water I've been giving them as I use the sprinkler in the meadow area.



The tea olives are blooming again too.



It's 61 and overcast. The high today will be in the upper 80s.

6 comments:

Heather said...

Hi Tom! I can't believe you have anything blooming in your garden. We are frozen solid every morning around here!

Nell Jean said...

It's hard to visualize from other parts of the country that some of us are still wearing shorts and some places are frozen already.

I haven't paid attention to acorns, but pecans are plentiful.

Thanks for the reminder about rooting some white lantana. I would probably have forgotten about it. It really took hold and spread, but it might be a tad tenderer than the lavender, according to what I heard around here.

Darla said...

Nice and hot and humid here!! Oh, I can smell the Tea Olive...

lynn'sgarden said...

Can you dig up and pot the whole brugmansia? It may survive and bloom indoors for you...and the fragrance!

Hope your leg's all better, Tom!

Anonymous said...

I'm always amazed at tea olives--how such a tiny glower can pack such a wallop in its fragrance!

Randy Emmitt said...

Tom,

We'll send you plenty of acorns! Since I have been typing 3 have hit the roof then hit the deck. You do know that oaks in the red oak family have acorns every TWO years not every year.