Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Hosta, impatiens, coleus

I finally planted them out late this morning too. I made a quick bed by the front sidewalk. Again, RoundUp was used a while ago to kill the creeping grasses and weeds. I used the pitchfork to turn the soil to a depth of 6". I added two bags of topsoil and watered well. Good drainage at least. After putting in the plants, I added two bags of mulch, one hardwood, one cypress. Broken bags are half price.



Hosta, impatiens, coleus.


Finally, I planted a pan of wintersown hosta in the empty spaces. They are still tiny, about the size of a silver dollar, maybe.





Though not happy with the front bed, this does continue the purple, foliage, shade theme I have going on opposite the sidewalk.



It's 82 and mostly sunny. Back to work.

3 comments:

F Cameron said...

You've grown so many plants from your winter sowing. I'm so glad that you don't have to worry about deer with your hostas, impatiens and coleus. I like the combos that you're creating.

Cameron

Tom - 7th Street Cottage said...

Thanks Cameron. I've never seen a rabbit either. There are a few feral cats though. Maybe they keep a lot of the critters away.

Jean Campbell said...

Everything looks super to me. Amazing how quickly your beds take form, maybe because I'm an old woman and move slowly.

Been meaning to tell you what a grower that purple alternanthera is. I put some at the end of a rose bed. It has grown and grown and is now starting to climb a trellis. I think it likes some support. Great limbs of it root in a few days in water.

You've experienced the chartreuse, which stays in a petite luncheon-plate sized mound and doesn't do spectacular. The red is dark green right now but is big mounds and in fall will be a blaze of red.

Persian Shield looks good with light and dark sweet potato. Dappled shade is such a great thing.