Thursday, October 15, 2009

The Heat is On.

I can't believe I turned the heat on this morning. I managed to survive the summer using my A/C for only two weeks. When it comes to cold, I'm weak. It's 45 degrees outside. It's 62 in the house. I'm planning to head downstairs in a bit and build the first fire of the season in the basement wood heater. I promise to take it easy today even though I actually feel better than I did yesterday. I woke up with a little chest congestion, but able to breathe through my nose again.

Today's plan: Collect and organize all the saved containers from purchased plants. I've got lots from customers and Carla too. All will be used this winter for hardwood cuttings and wintersowing. I need to start looking for broken bags of soil at the store.

I've got a couple loads of laundry to finish. And I'd like to clean the basement while I'm down there. We'll see what I manage to get done. Drinking lots of fluids, starting with my coffee. ;)

Yes Nell, I am going to take it easy. I promise not to overdo it.

5 comments:

Dirt Princess said...

I am starting a seed swap if you are interested. It should be lots of fun. If you are interested please just leave a comment on my latest post. The more the merrier! We would love to have you!

FlowerLady Lorraine said...

Hi Tom ~ Don't overwork yourself. It sounds like you have an easy day planned. Our a.c. has been on for months and is still on. Cooler weather is expected this weekend and we are really looking forward to that.

FlowerLady

denise said...

with reference to previous post, once you've taking your cuttings from your brugs and they've rooted, what do you do with them? probably a stupid question, but i'm assuming you keep them inside?

Tom - 7th Street Cottage said...

DP, I'm hosting one of my own this year too, so I'm going to have to decline unfortunately. I've got seed packets all over the house already. I'm sure you will shortly understand. :)

It's been an easy day so far FlowerLady. I've got the basement reorganized only to realize I have way too much stuff. I need to have a bonfire soon.

Denise, I do keep my rooted brugs indoors for the winter. I use 16 or 20 ounce drink cups with holes in the bottom for drainage. I have a rack downstairs in the basement with fluorescent light tubes, the 4' long ones. They don't grow much under those lights, and I harden them off outdoors in the spring.

denise said...

thanks. mine didn't bloom this yr. they're always late and we went into a drought and although i tried to keep them watered, they just didn't do anything. i thought i would try my hand at taking cuttings.