Monday, October 26, 2009

Flush.

The brugs have really responded well to the cooler weather. I've taken two branches from each of the three plants in the perennial bed. They've become the 21 cuttings mentioned a couple days ago. I love the different colors of the blooms on a single plant. They start out yellow and fade to a rich orange.





In this photo, you can see all the versions of the blooms, from the smallest, new buds, larger buds, a just opened yellow bloom in the bottom right corner, and the big orange flower that opened two days ago. Tomorrow, that one will be mush.





Yesterday, for my own amusement, I made another panoramic image of the back yard. Click to embiggen.



It's 50 degrees, windy, and cool. The forecast calls for 52 tonight with rain possible Tuesday and Wednesday. Went to work at 5am this morning. I need a nap when I get off at 2pm.

5 comments:

Darla said...

I received a cutting from this plant from a friend. It is well rooted and has been repotted. Should I wait until next spring to put it in the ground?

Tom - 7th Street Cottage said...

Darla, I would put it in the basement or somewhere that it can remain cool and go dormant for the winter. Or treat it as a houseplant in a sunny spot. Just don't overwater. The soil needs to dry out completely between waterings. The pot should be very light when you lift it. I lost several cuttings last year due to soggy soil.

Darla said...

Thank you so much.. I am over the top about this plant and want it to survive the winter!!!

Unknown said...

oh those brugs look so beautiful...i can't wait! hehe

xoxo

Maureen said...

I wasn't sure if it would happen or not but I finally got my first bloom of the year! It may be the only one I see because the other blooms are dropping here in the northeast. But at least I saw one! Woo-hoo!