Wednesday, January 28, 2009

January 28, 1986

It was a cool, crisp day and I was in the 8th grade. It was Earth Science class and all the students were watching as the first teacher headed into space. Obviously, there was a major malfunction as 7 NASA astronauts "slipped the surly bonds of Earth to touch the face of God."



That night, President Ronald Reagan addressed the nation during what would have been his State of the Union Address.



That was 23 years ago.

Today it's 52 and foggy. Rain likely. I'm working through drawings from a new client trying to put together pricing and a schedule for a new project.

Photobucket

12:20pm - Three days ago I started some Red Texas Star hibiscus seeds on my homemade bottom heat contraption. Today I found at least a dozen seeds that had germinated. I moved 10 of them to individual containers. I want to raise these from seed and clone as many as I can. The Cherry Brandy Rudbeckia I started last week has disappointed me. Only one of 6 seeds germinated.

4 comments:

F Cameron said...

The pilot, Michael Smith of Beaufort, was a cousin to my ex-husband. I remember that day all too well.

Cameron

Anonymous said...

must not remember it too well as it happened in '86 NOT '87!

Tom - 7th Street Cottage said...

You're right. I got the year wrong.

Catherine@AGardenerinProgress said...

Whatever year it was, it was a sad day, I remember exactly where I was.