Saturday, May 23, 2009

Welcome Home, Mister Lincoln

I did it again. I bought another hybrid tea rose. I know. They're terribly difficult to grow here in NC with the heat and humidity. But you didn't see or smell the bloom on this thing sitting there on the table. With space at a premium in the perennial bed, something had to go. Sorry barberry. I'm not sure what size you will mature to anyway since I've lost your tag, but your time was up. The barberry was replanted near the birdfeeder in front of the leyland cypress. Mister Lincoln should reach a height of 4-6' and spread 2-4' wide filling in the corner where my red spider zinnias are putting on the most pitiful display I have ever witnessed.





The new rose is planted across the path from the orange on I bought last week. At $4.98 a piece, who can blame me? I've paid more for annuals.

I also paid full price for a Snowball Viburnum, Viburnum opulus 'Sterile'. For $16.98, I got a three foot tall shrub in a 5 gallon pot. I remember seeing this shrub when I was a kid. In Virginia, there's one in Jackie's yard. I consider it an old fashioned plant, but my house is nearly 64 years old.



Then I bought a red Forever & Ever Hydrangea. It was $12.98. I know it will never be truly red in our climate and soil, but there should be lots of dark pink and purple blooms once it settles in. I placed it next to the front steps to the right of the dining room window.



I also bought a $6 clearance rack hydrangea from the Gardeners Confidence Collection. I don't know much about this company, but the plant was in a 3 gallon pot and has lots of new growth on it. It should bloom white with a tinge of blue. I put it opposite the red hydrangea between a gardenia cutting and a tea olive cutting. In the center of the window is a camellia that was cut down right after I moved in. I don't know what color it blooms.



Another full price plant followed me home. For $6.97, I got a climbing hydrangea. See a pattern here? I've seen pictures of this vine online. The picture attached the plant told me where to plant it in my yard.



It's at the base of the chimney now. It should receive about 4 hours of sunlight in the summer. It's evergreen and will give the Confederate Jasmine something to grow into. I didn't take the advice of others telling me to plant it far away from the house. It could reach 80' tall without pruning. I can live with that.



I picked up two clearance rack heucheras too. Both purple, I planted these on the north side of the house in the hosta bed. The elephant ears from Trevor are just starting to leaf out.



It's 75 degrees and muggy. It rained at some point during the day while I was at work 2 miles away. It must have come a nice shower. When I got home with my groceries, the street was still wet and steaming.

With the spring season coming to a close on Tuesday in the garden center, I don't plan to spend any more money on plants. Instead, I will start turning my attention to cuttings and propagation of things in my yard and around the neighborhood. I know I spent too much. I always do. It makes me happy. I can live with that.

------

The blue house 3 doors up was just put on the market yesterday. It was a rental when I moved into my house. The kids there had lots of parties and neighbors tell me it was a drug den for a while before that. About a year ago, the tenants moved out and it was abandoned. Windows got broken and the house fell into even worse disrepair. Today, the realtor was showing the house to a couple. They were there for more than an hour. I would like to see someone purchase it and fix it up. It's a bungalow style home. The lot is narrow and tight. There's really no yard to speak of. There is a gorgeous yellow broom plant in the front yard. The seed pods will be ripe in another month. ;)

3 comments:

Jill-O said...

Oh yeah, I steal the neighbor's columbine seeds and scatter them in my garden. I've picked the hollyhock seed pods from the house down the street. I've dug up some dame's rocket from a roadside batch and replanted them in my yard. I keep taking lupine seeds from the wildflower meadow but I haven't been able to propagate them yet. I'll be trying again in a few weeks. Go get 'em!

Amy said...

I just bought a snowball viburnum too! I can't wait to see it next year. I love your garden.

Tom - 7th Street Cottage said...

Jill, sow your lupine seeds in the fall. Give them at least 2 months before your typical first frost date. Or sow them in late December/early January outside in containers. They'll sprout.

Thanks Amy. I can't wait to see it bloom. This one, which I've been watching since it came into the store weeks ago, had one bloom on it this year. Hopefully in the ground it will perform better.