Monday, May 4, 2009

The moon garden

When I bought the house, the moon garden was a tangled mess of boxwoods, azaleas, and ivy. Last fall, it looked like this as I worked to tear out everything and start from scratch.



I took some photos of this area yesterday to record all the changes in every part of the yard. Most of the plants were moved from other parts of the yard, wintersown, or direct sown. A few cuttings and a few purchased six packs of annuals finished it off.











Scented and white flowering plants are mixed with purple/red/black foliage. At first I hated this area of the yard. It always felt "dead". Adding white plants really helped make it feel more alive. Can't wait for my castor beans to get some real growth on them. I've also planted a few cotton plants back here.

6 comments:

Dirt Princess said...

Your hard work has paid off!

Laura said...

Looks good! I can't believe how much you've accomplished around your house in one year!

Heather said...

It looks many worlds better. I love the idea of an all white garden. Moon garden. Someday I will plant one in my yard. I can't wait to see it later in the season.

Tom - 7th Street Cottage said...

Thanks guys. Heather, most of the blooms this year will come from annuals. Wait til next year when the perennials start to fill in and bloom. That's what I keep telling myself, wait til next year. :)

Catherine@AGardenerinProgress said...

Is that nicotiana sylvestris from this year? It looks really nice there!

Tom - 7th Street Cottage said...

Yes Catherine. That nicotiana was sown on Dec 21 2008 and planted out in March, I think. It was the largest one in the container for a long time. I have a purple that is just starting to bud over in the perennial bed.