Saturday, May 9, 2009

A Time to Kill.

Yesterday I had it in my head that I would pull all the Shirley poppies in the perennial bed. The rains of the past week had flattened a lot of them making them unsightly. Instead, I pulled a few plants and left two large clumps. This morning, they rewarded me with blooms. They'd better set seed soon. They've received a one week stay of execution.



Lots of weeds have popped up in all the beds thanks to the rain we had. Highs in the upper 80s today aren't likely to help the problem. I should be outside weeding right now. But, there's coffee to drink, websites to read, blogs to follow, and I've got to wash my hair. I hate weeding.

It's 66 and sunny. Hot today, cooler tomorrow with a chance of rain.

3 comments:

Heather said...

Hi Tom, I don't like to weed either! This morning we are making pickled asparagus and lots of it. Yummy!

Laura said...

I HATE weeding! Although today would be a good day for it- a high of 63 and cloudy. Too bad I'm at work! ;)

Catherine@AGardenerinProgress said...

Always an excuse not to weed for me too.
I hope I get some Shirley poppies. I sowed so many poppy seeds I have no ideas what's what anymore. Are their leaves similar to most poppies as seedlings?