Sunday, May 3, 2009

A day of rest

It's 64 and mostly cloudy. I took a coffee stroll through the yard this morning. Two cups. Lots of new things to discover.

The first picture of the day before the clouds rolled in.


A new petunia bloom. I really like this one.


A new poppy.


Nicotiana in the moongarden.


The direct sown garden with cosmos, zinnias, marigolds, and butterfly host plans near the potager.


Beans, cukes, and corn.


Squash, cukes, beans, and who knows what else.


Cabbage is just starting to form heads.


The violets are taking over on the front slope. Periwinkle that I transplanted are doing fine, mostly.


In the pile of composting leaves, pill bugs are having a great time.


Down the street, the smell of honeysuckle and mock orange drifts through the perennial bed. I wish honeysuckle wasn't so invasive. I love the smell.




The perennial bed from a different angle.


Going to spend some time today potting up my daylily seedlings. Looks like they grew an inch or more overnight. I may try to pot up some more dogwoods too. Althea is ready to be potted. And I want to take some cuttings of a few more things for the cloner. It's still too early for the perennials, but petunias and other annuals should have solid growth on them for now.

4 comments:

Heather said...

Man Tom- your yard looks fantastic! I love this angle of the perennial bed. It looks so full already! The edging trick I was told about was to cut a clean edge from one angle and then turn around and cut into the edge with the same shovel forming a V with the little ditch. Worked like a dream. It seems the simplest things escape me, even after all these years. Round up just never gave me that clean edge I was looking for! Now I have it on most of the beds and finsihing the rest when the rain allows.

Tom - 7th Street Cottage said...

Thanks Heather. I have stone edging too. So I'll give it a try.

Jill-O said...

You know that little deadend in your perennial garden is just calling out for a bench or seat of some kind.

Tom - 7th Street Cottage said...

Jill, I've been thinking about that. I was considering moving some really large stones and creating a sitting spot. Depending on how things go this summer, it may end up being just that. I've planted beans to add nitrogen to the soil. I doubt they'll get enough sun there to grow much, but anything organic has got to be better than what is there now.