Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Blackberry Winter

The blackberries are blooming. It's 41 degrees this morning. That's what Hilda calls this cold snap, Blackberry Winter. The last cold snap was a Dogwood winter. That was almost a month ago. Surely this is the end of our cold weather for the season. I had to run the heat last night in the house.

Today, sunny and 72 for a high. I may transplant some more butterfly bushes. I might try to move some of my seedlings into the sun. I'm ready to toss a lot of things that just didn't grow well or haven't germinated at all. It's time to clean off the end of the driveway.

3 comments:

Jeff Vandiver said...

Oh yes....the blackberry winter is the last cold spell for the year!

Jennifer AKA keewee said...

Our weather is so unpredictable. I spent all day Sunday outside enjoying the Sun as I worked in the garden, Yesterday and today it is back to colder and raining. At least I don't have to water the garden, but the weeds will keep me busy when I get out again.

Catherine@AGardenerinProgress said...

I've never heard of blackberry winter. It's been cool, and windy here. Time for some consistently warm weather.