Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Seed sowing

Farmers' Almanac says 21-22 TRANSPLANT, PLANT FLOWERS, PLANT SEEDBEDS, PLANT ABOVEGROUND CROPS.

So today, I'm starting some perennial seeds from next year. The echinacea that I sowed several weeks ago is just beginning to emerge. I think the rains have helped a lot. I'll be sowing these into quart sized containers. They'll be placed in a spot to receive morning sun and afternoon shade. I'll transplant them into the garden in early October.



I'm also sowing some zinnia seeds. They'll give me a little fall color in areas where the first round of plants have died back. The convolvolous tricolor and red spider zinnias need to be pulled from the perennial bed. The foliage is ugly and the blooms are sparse. I may try to shear those zinnias and hope for a second wave of blooms. But the dwarf morning glories have to go. I'm thinking of moving some of the smaller daturas from the white bed to replace them. They'll get more sun and have access to more moisture than their current location.

I have other items on my to-do list today as well. We'll see how far I get. It's 66 degrees, partly cloudy, and humid. More afternoon storms are in the forecast.

1 comment:

Corner Gardener Sue said...

Gardening keeps us busy! I hope you got the things on your list accomplished, or at least most of them.