Monday, July 6, 2009

Brown

No, not the color of the dead foliage from lack of rain. (Still none even though storms were all around us last night.) I'm talking about brown flowers. On camera, they take on an orange or red glow. In person, they look as fake as the dollar store Thanksgiving displays. All these rudbeckias were grown from seed collected from "Autumn Colors" last year. The original plant lasted about 2 weeks in my garden. It was orange and yellow with touches of burnt umber and brown. The offspring are just downright ugly in the garden. I'm keeping them only to collect seed for wintersowing.



Why do they always seem to grow next to pink flowers?







Cherry Brandy rudbeckia. Thompson & Morgan offered this plant as a truly red rudbeckia. Yeah, red if you're color blind. I'm not the only one disappointed with this 'thing'.

3 comments:

Jimmy said...

a 'chocolate garden'. very en vogue.:)

Tom - 7th Street Cottage said...

Jim, I had never thought about doing a brown bed. I need a flowering almond too. :)

lynn'sgarden said...

Aw, tom, I beg to differ...I love these 'brown' colored flowers! Yeah, they clash with the pink but in a bed of white or yellow blooms, they'd be awesome! That Cherry Brandy is unusual...