Wednesday, September 1, 2010

September

Color is returning to the yard. The grass is still green. The hateful lawnmower died this week. The gas tank, connected by a metal pipe to the innards of the engine, fell off. The pipe was cracked in two. It may have tried to break my leg last summer, but I got the last laugh. Now I need to buy a new lawnmower.

Turn of the Century is blooming again. I cut it back hard in July due to damage from Japanese Beetles.



Zinnias provide color. They seem more vibrant this morning.



The acorns have started to fall. Bumper crop. It sounds like tap dancing outside my window at night if I park the truck too close to the house.



It's 72 degrees. Hurricane Earl is in the Atlantic, threatening to land on the NC coast. We're not expected to see any rain according to the latest forecasts. No rain in sight for the next 10 days. The high today should reach the mid 90s, again. *sigh*

2 comments:

Darla said...

Stunning Hibiscus in the first photo. Love the contrast of the colors in the second photo...the third photo, please don't remind me of what's soon to be all over my yard and driveway, not to mention they hurt when they fall on your head!

John Jardin said...

I've never heard of a 'Turn of the Century' before. It is amazing! It looks like a hibiscus. Really spectacular.

I like your red zinnias with the deep smokey purple foliage. What an eye pleaser!