Thursday, January 27, 2011

It's almost time.

I need to take cuttings of my figs in the next few weeks. It's almost time to start cleaning up the winter interest in the garden. Things are happening. With 60 degrees in the forecast this weekend and plenty of rain already, we should see some spurts here and there. I can't wait.


Flowering quince finally looks like it might flower this year.



I thought these were hyacinths, but they appear to be squill.



Agastache. Tough plant whether winter or summer.



It's 43 degrees. More firewood has been split and hauled inside.

6 comments:

Darla said...

Cool mornings and mild afternoons makes for good gardening weather.

Fishtail Cottage said...

oh, your garden looks like mine!! I just started a link party (this is the 4th week) & i'd love to have you link up! we are all so excited for spring to arrive! xoox

scottweberpdx said...

Ahh, it's so nice to see all the plants starting to pop up, isn't it. I'm fascinated at how some of the Agastache don't even really completely die back in the winter, but maintain a small amount of basal foliage all winter. I think the only one I haven't seen break dormancy yet is 'Golden Jubilee', hopefully I'll see it soon. :-)

Betty819 said...

I can't beleive those plants have already popped through the ground. Watch it get warm for a few days, then back to heavy frost and colder temps and kill all that's newly starting to grow.

Tom - 7th Street Cottage said...

Scott, my Golden Jubilee makes an appearance in mid February. The daffodils start blooming about the same time.

Betty, most of the plants that send out foliage now know what they're doing. We could still have snow in the next few weeks. But I've been told on good authority that we're done for the year.

Cindy said...

Agastache is a newcomer to my garden. Found a steal at Lowe's ;) late last summer ... $1 each. Like Scott said they've maintained some foliage all winter at the same time putting out fresh growth. I've already placed an order for more varieties from Lazy S's Farm.