Monday, August 17, 2009

Spiders

I hate spiders. I hate them with every ounce of my being. I really hate them when they build webs on my front porch where I can walk into them first thing every morning. This guy has been moved to the side of the porch where I won't be tempted to thrash about trying to get it off me when I come home late at night.



This one is in the perennial bed. It had a web stretched between two cosmos, but I evicted it yesterday. Overnight, the new web is larger and sturdier. As long as it stays in the yard, it can live.



Mr. Lincoln is blooming again.



The small Turn of the Century division is finally blooming.



Saliva, Coral Nymph is going through it's 4th flush of blooms this season. I love this plant. Lots of seeds have been collected.



Salvia coccinea, purple, has finally bloomed. I wintersowed several containers and only one plant survived. This one has been a slow grower only taking off once the temperatures hit 90. Or maybe I'm just imagining it.



69 degrees and sunny. Slight chance of rain in the forecast. Storms passed by yesterday giving us just enough rain to spot the windshield on the truck.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tom - Your Mr. Lincoln is lovely. I have about a dozen rose bushes and would like to add a Mr. Lincoln next. The photos of the spiders are excellent. Have a great day!
- Daisy

MissyM said...

I have read that spiders in your garden is a good sign that your garden is healthy. Mine must be robust because I am seeing webs everywhere! I am not a fan either.

MissyM said...

Oh, I wanted to add that I adore Coral Nymph Salvia. My original plant did not return this year but I did find some babies and they are starting to bloom.

Randy Emmitt said...

Tom,

Yes garden spiders are part of the deal. We have a spider about every 3-4 foot around our house it seems. Can't walk outside in the morning without running into a web. Enjoyed your post.

L. D. said...

That black and yellow spider is like the ones we would find in our farm buildings in Iowa. They are large. I tolerate snakes in my garden now but it took a few years. They like to crawl up into bushes and I don't tolerate that. Your Mr. Lincoln is wonderful.