Thursday, February 18, 2010

We now return you to our regularly scheduled weather.

One month til Spring, 31 days. I just can't get excited yet, but I do have hope. It can all change in the blink of an eye. Just four days ago, there was snow in this forecast.



Today, I've got plans to split the firewood my parents brought up last weekend. They're coming up with another small load taken from their own property on Monday. Something about the end of a row, the tractor's muffler, and a low hanging branch prompted my dad to remove a couple trees. It shouldn't take more than a couple hours.

After noon, I hope to finally get my peas, cabbage, and carrots in the ground. They've been holding their own in the hoophouse in a flat that's way too small for them. I checked last week and gave everything a fine spray of water from the garden hose. Lots of wintersown seeds have germinated, dianthus, rudbeckia, and others.

I'm itching to sow more seeds. I have lots of agastache and salvias I want to get out soon. Farmers Almanac says no. I'll be sowing these seeds in another week when conditions are more favorable.

At the end of the driveway, there are so many sprouts. I'll be sorting the containers today. I'm curious just how many have survived the near-arctic temperatures of the past two weeks. I know I've lost some hardy hibiscus seedlings. I just hope there are ungerminated seeds that knew better.

It's 28 degrees this morning. The sky is clear, the sun is shining. I'm on my second cup of coffee, waiting for the mercury to rise above freezing.

1 comment:

L. D. said...

We are hoping to get to 30 today. This weather has been unreliable but the earth is tilting back and it can't last much longer.