Friday, February 19, 2010

Looks like we made it....




There you are, lookin' just the same as you did, last time I touched you.

Cuttings struck and planted in 2009.

Mophead hydrangea



Oak leaf hydrangea



Snowball viburnum



Vitex "Shoal Creek"



Red Pussywillow



6th St Fig



Boxwood euonymus



Others that look like they made it: Elaeagnus x ebbengei, variegated weigela, forsythia, lots of gardenias, redtwig dogwood, white pussywillow, and brugmansias.

Not everything was as fortunate. There should have been a vitex cutting here.



I'm not being naive. Winter is not over yet, but the coldest weather should be well behind us now. It's going to be a beautiful weekend.

6 comments:

Darla said...

Looks good. I am counting on most of the cold being behind us...

FlowerLady Lorraine said...

Things are really looking good there Tom.

One year on my birthday, which is the first day of spring, DH was in NJ at an antique show with a friend of ours, and I was here with the pets. We talked on the phone, and it was 38 degrees there and it was also 38 degrees here. So, we won't know until the end of March as to whether or not we will have more cold weather. It is 45 right now and feels like it is 46, and for us that is cold. DH is loving it for doing outdoor projects. We worked outside all day yesterday, except for a short lunch break.

Enjoy your gardens coming awake once again.

FlowerLady

Zach said...

You started all of those from cuttings? Wow, I need to learn how to so that from you. I tried a couple of years ago, and it failed utterly!

Tom - 7th Street Cottage said...

Darla, it has to be, but we do have a few nights in the forecast back down into the mid/upper 20s.

FlowerLady, it was warmer here than in Florida? We ended up at 57. It was a beautiful day. I'm so ready for spring.

Zach, it's simple really. Check out my Helpful Links section on building a cloner. I'll be taking lots more cuttings this year too. It's just a matter of timing, humidity, and waiting.

L. D. said...

It looks like those plants have a good start so they should stay stron and grow well. Good for you.

Dar said...

I can only hope my Oakleaf Hydrangea has survived our bitter cold winter...a couple of more months and I will finally see.
Thanks for posting this so I know what to watch for.