Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Blooms

Yeah. I'm early with these. So what. Some of them are early too.

I hate squirrels.



Pink weigela.



Mountain Bluet



Scattered seeds collected from Larry's bulbs last spring produced these.



Nearly black columbine



May Night Salvia



Eastern Red? Scott? Any help?



Close-up



Lunaria and what will some day be an 8' wide and tall azalea.



A dark leafed weigela just beyond the Korean Lilac. It was a gift from Trevor.



Miss Bateman didn't climb much this year. I had hoped she would climb the crape myrtle she's planted beneath.



Self-sown red clover blooms in front of the swing in what used to be the meadow area. I haven't cut the grass in a couple weeks. I was curious. I'll mow selected areas this afternoon. Maybe. Bridal Wreath spirea is next to the swing.



Past blooms became peaches. I need to thin them.



Another salvia. Rescued from the clearance rack last fall.



Knockout.



Bath's Pink dianthus grown from cuttings Jim sent. I have several clumps blooming heavily this year. They took a while to recover after I planted them last spring. It was a hard summer for lots of things.



Two year old Siberian Wallflowers are looking nice on the hill.



And a wintersown lupine that just sat there all summer and winter has been blooming for about a week.



It's 64 degrees and cloudy. A tish of rain fell overnight. Another day off, I'm planning to clean the house.

11 comments:

Darla said...

Tom everything is looking good. What is growing up the white trellis by your home?

Tom - 7th Street Cottage said...

Confederate Jasmine. It suffers during the winter, loses most of its leaves, but has come back three years in a row. It smells great too.

FlowerLady Lorraine said...

Squirrels are a nuisance that's for dang sure. Since we lost most of our trees due to hurricanes and bugs, we hardly have any squirrels to deal with.

You really have some wonderful blooms bursting out up there.

I love Confederate Jasmine. Mine is in bloom right now and smells wonderful.

On the way to work this morning I passed a fence that was heavily loaded with those fragrant blooms and the scent filled my car for a litte way. What a treat!

Your temps sounds so nice. It is 83 and feels like it is 91 right now. I'm afraid we have summer early this year. We may get some rain tonight. I hope so.

Have a great day.

FlowerLady

Bonnie said...

Beautiful blooms!

gld said...

Everything is looking wonderful. I love the Siberian Wallflower and thought my summers would be too hot. I should give it a try.

I like that unmown meadow look with the red clover and the swing....I would mow it pretty high!

Could the acquilegia be acquilegia canadensis? That's what it looks like to me.

Jimmy said...

Lupines! I can't be;ieve you have lupines!

compost in my shoe said...

A big dog helps with the furry rats with tails!!

L. D. said...

What a show you have of color and foliage. Your garden is stunning already and it is still April.

Lisa said...

I'm becoming increasingly less fond of squirrels, too. Their digging is definitely out of control. And shouldn't their foraging habits be confined to mushrooms and nuts?

Your columbine, as gld suggested, definitely looks like our Eastern columbine, A. canadensis, to me.

http://naturalgardening.blogspot.com/2011/04/eastern-columbine.html

Tom - 7th Street Cottage said...

Thanks for the identification. The seeds I received just said Eastern Red Columbine. Glad to have it identified.

scottweberpdx said...

Love those Columbine...especially the light, airy red/yellow one...so charming. The salvias are great...and sale rack plants are my favorite!