Wednesday, December 15, 2010

I slept in this morning.

I made it almost to 9am. I did get up about 6 and remember to pull the trash receptacle to the curb. I forgot to do that last night. I was rattled after work. Rushed. When I finally got up, I rebuilt the fire in the basement, made coffee, and checked the online temperature. I'm afraid. I'm thankful I don't have to work today.



I've been reading some of the articles on the tiny house blog I posted a few days ago. I found one that used shipping containers to make an apartment of sorts. I thought I'd give my hand a try at the same idea. A few cups of coffee later, I've got a plan. I've already been thinking in elevation as well. I'll probably save that for tomorrow, while it's snowing.



I've got firewood to chop. Yes, I am using the ax. This is good oak. It splits easily.

2 comments:

gld said...

Tom, you are colder than we are here in Zone 6.

I love that plan with the central greenhouse. That could lend some additional heat to the house on sunny days in the winter.

Just wonder about the orientation though....no south sun in winter, just the roof area.

Didn't one of Brad Pitt's post New Orleans projects have plans for simple shotgun style houses for the people who lost their houses in Katrina? You might search for that. They might be bigger than what you are interest in though.

Have a super day!

Tom - 7th Street Cottage said...

I've looked through that book at work. They're called Katrina Cottages. Most are slightly larger than what I was looking at. Of course, I'd need a garage the same size as my house if I lived in something that small. Or a real greenhouse.

The winter sun will still warm the chimney in the center part of the house. The tile would warm too. Shades on cloudy days and in the summer would help. Windows on either side of the fireplace (either a gas or wood insert) would allow the winter sun in.

There's more still to do. I was just bored. But maybe one day I'll build my own house.