Tuesday, November 3, 2009

This is the end...

The killer awoke before dawn. He put his boots on.







The basement smells great this morning.



The Ecuador white that was supposed to be a yellow is now the subject of a test. I plan to leave it to the elements to see what happens. I have plenty of white cuttings and will take more from the new growth over the winter.



I cut down Kongmansia. This one was a purchased plant and has done nothing all year. Spider mites have attacked it since the day I planted it.



It's alone in the living room window to see if it will root. I want to keep it isolated even though I treated it yesterday. I need to clean my windows too.



The largest stalk of the Confederate Rose was cut down too. I've never successfully rooted these, so we'll see what happens. I was able to grow two of these from seed this year. They were wintersown in late March. The other one has performed poorly in the perennial bed, being planted out not long after I injured my leg.



They are supposed to root easily in water. I stuck one in the cloner, the other three are being treated like brugs. White bumps should form and grow into roots.



I took cuttings of white lantana, Miss Huff lantana (she has thorns!), Provence lavender, and rosemary. Again, lots of trial and error here. My fingers smell of rosemary.



It's 50 degrees up from a low of 37 last night. Tonight, mid 30s and probably a light frost will settle. I've got a few more things to do before work this morning. Most notably, I want to move more of the firewood into the basement.



11:03am - Three wheelbarrows of wood have been transported to the basement. Lots more left out there. I got bored with that pretty quick and decided to do something more destructive. I set the two outer posts for my backyard "gate".





On Thursday, the concrete should be set well enough to attach the two fence panels I bought this summer for $1 each. Still not sure about the color they'll be painted.



Between the two center posts, copper pipe, removed from the basement a few weeks ago when all new plumbing was installed, will be used as a trellis for some scrambling annual vine. I'm thinking morning glories.



Only a little pineapple sage is left. I had to chop down 6 plants to make room for the posts.



I didn't bother taking cuttings. I did collect another batch of seed.



Having a late breakfast of bagel and cream cheese. Working late again this evening. I have another hour I could spend in the yard, but there's very little I can do right now.

12 comments:

Unknown said...

the killer has been busy....muauahahahah...

but, in the spring your garden (and hopefully a little corner of mine..teehee) will be magnificent!

xoxo

Tom - 7th Street Cottage said...

Cat, don't plan on a little corner. Plan big. These yellow/orange ones got 8' across this year. Plan big. :)

L. D. said...

I have vision of this gruesome guy with a machete out there in his yard, hacking away. You inspire me to mess with some of the plants that I rtought in for the winter. I need to cut down this leggy geranium and start over, right after it stops blooming.
I was out yesterday, leveling my annual bed to the ground as we are done for the year. It looks better cleared now.

Anonymous said...

You have been busy! Good luck with all the new stock!

Darla said...

Okay, what kind of vitamins do you take? You are one busy man. I cannot wait to see your gardens come mid spring early summer....!!

Tom - 7th Street Cottage said...

LOL Darla. I just like to get things done when I have time. I drink a lot of sunshine. I eat a lot of dirt.

LD, I still have some annuals out there to cull. There's also some perennials that need a hard frost before I move them. There are huge clumps of shasta daisies that need to be divided and potted for the plant sale next year.

Anonymous said...

You are the energizer bunny! I am amazed at all you accomplish and I love reading about it. Never miss your blog...

Renie
Tijeras, NM

Corner Gardener Sue said...

Amen to all the above comments! I can't do a lot of rooting, because the water ends up drying and the plants die. I am trying more cuttings this year, though, and so far am keeping them filled with water.

We got down to 26 degrees this morning. The low was supposed to be in the lower 30s. I may have lost my lettuce. It was pretty frosted.

Things are looking great your way!

Tom - 7th Street Cottage said...

Thanks Y'all. I just love playing in dirt. It's just one big experiment.

Jill-O said...

I've been thinking a lot about the end, too. If the weather cooperates, I'll be cleaning out the annuals, trimming and potting up the last of the geraniums and putting away all the yard doo-dads.

Catherine@AGardenerinProgress said...

Love the Doors! :)
You have been busy. I like the picket fence and your idea for a trellis.

Nutty Gnome said...

Phew - I thought I'd been busy, but you put me to shame! Your garden is looking good and I love your new gateway - it's going to look great! :)