Monday, January 26, 2009

I've got wood

On Saturday, I went to my parents' in SC to get some more firewood. This should last me through the two final cold months this winter. I'll spend a bit of time this afternoon splitting enough to last the next few days. It doesn't burn as well as seasoned wood, but it does burn.

Photobucket

The unusually cold weather and last week's snow has caused some damage to a few plants in the yard. My gardenias I started from cuttings last summer were the worst hit.

Photobucket

The variegated gardenia is probably dead.

Photobucket

The loropetalum should be okay, but I won't know until spring if it comes back to full life or not. I did get some cuttings from it but no roots so far.

Photobucket

The azaleas that were chopped down in 2007 were looking great until the snow. I'm sure I won't see any flowers on these this spring.

Photobucket

Photobucket

None of it seemed to stop the daffodils.

Photobucket

The rest of my day will be spent tidying up a few things here at the house. I'm waiting to hear back from a client about a potential project. I contacted other clients for references this weekend. One, maybe two, will have something next month. In the meantime, I'll still be looking for full time work. This Friday, I plan to apply at a nursery for a summer position. It won't pay the bills, but it would be a job I will enjoy.

Sunday's picture taken on Monday.
Photobucket

Hardwood cuttings: quince, blackberry, lavender crape myrtle, holly, mock orange. These were stuck in potting mix and placed in the hoophouse.

1 comment:

Corner Gardener Sue said...

I'm sorry some of your plants were damaged by the cold weather. I love the last 2 pics, though! I like your house in the background of the daffodil.

I hope you find a job you like.