Day three of the monsoon season is upon us. It's been quite nice actually. It's a slow, steady drizzle with a few showers scattered here and there. It's 41 degrees. It's too cold and wet for me to get outside. So, I'm starting more tender varieties indoors.
First, I culled the plants that I started too early in late January. The zinnias have had it. Some of the rooted cuttings needed to go as well. A few Red Texas Star hibiscus seedlings looked too sad to save. I did the right thing and put them out of their misery. They'll make a nice addition to the compost pile this afternoon. I was able to keep about half of these plants.
After discussing my bottom heat contraption with another blogger over the weekend, I've decided to post some pictures of how I use it to start seeds. First, I find a container that will hold the seeds and fit within the larger container with the sand and rope lighting. I need another of the same size to use as a cover holding in the humidity until the seeds germinate. By the time all of these seeds germinate, I should be able to move the tray out to the hoophouse when the temperatures warm up next week.
In this container, I've sown sweet basil, purple ruffles basil, sage, and spearmint. These will be planted with the tomatoes and by the hammock. Basil and mint are reported to ward off mosquitoes. I'll be using pennyroyal too. The basil was sown on Thursday and have already started to germinate.
The 32 cent pack of cabbage has also germinated. It may get too warm for these before harvest, but I'll transplant them next weekend into the potager regardless of their size. Until then, they can stay in this cake container. Yes, there is some fungus. No, I'm not worried about it. I left the container closed for too long on bottom heat. I'll leave it open for a couple of days to dry out. The seedlings that don't make it weren't wanted anyway. I planted more than I can possible eat.
The cherry tomatoes are coming along slowly.
However, the other tomatoes are growing like crazy. I really need to transplant these, but I'm out of soil. I should pick up a bag today. But I am still in my pajamas.
Other indoor happenings...Datura inoxia, started from seed in late December.
Double Yellow datura stared from seed in early February.
Two rooted fig cuttings. The only survivors of 18 cuttings. I've got others in the fridge now. I'm going to be planting them out directly into the garden to see if I have better luck. Mold is a real problem rooting these indoors.
English Ivy slips were rooted for the North Bed. I plan to cover the entire side of the house with this stuff. The bed is nearly full shade and I'm not really a hydrangea fan. I rooted them with a piece of willow and a confederate rose cutting. They need to be planted out soon.
I guess that is about it. Sunday's picture was taken this morning. In my pajamas. In the middle of the street. While it was raining.
Time to get to work on the project. Today I'll be painting.